Monday, October 11, 2021

Day 11: "Dear MBC"

 October 11, 2021



Dear MBC,


As you know it’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month. For those of us with breast cancer it can be a trigger… especially if you’re Stage 4. Stage 4… I feel… is sometimes glossed over. This is my opinion. I wonder how often oncologists mention it to their early stage patients. I know I wasn’t informed about it back in 2016. Recurrence was brought up when I first met with my oncologist and surgeon. I was told I had a 5% chance my cancer would return after treatment and surgery. Metastatic breast cancer was something I was foolishly oblivious to. I was uneducated about it. It just wasn’t on my radar because I was going to be “ok.” I’m guessing doctors don’t want to worry us with more information when we're already overwhelmed with the news we have cancer at all. Focus on the now and not so much the future if there’s not much of a chance of dying? I don’t know. *shrugs* Regardless of your cancer staging… you're now part of the unofficial Pink Party that nobody wants to go to. However, we are here… together and a community.


Breast Cancer Awareness Month is kinda like a Pink Party. We share stories of survival. We have races and fundraisers. We wear pink. I have my pink clothes. I pick my pink clothing with a purpose. I don’t have much with pink ribbons on it. What I do have has messages. One hoodie says “Fuc*& Cancer.” Another shirt says “Cancer Picked The Wrong Bitch.” I wore that in NYC for the Race for The Cure in 2019. You know what though? My “Don’t Ignore Stage 4” tank has gotten the most wear this October. I have that and a pin with the multi-colored ribbon that represents MBC. Did you know there was a different ribbon for you MBC? I didn’t until I did. It’s a tricolor ribbon. According to metavivor.org 

-The green in the ribbon represents the triumph of spring over winter. life over death.

-The teal symbolizes healing and spirituality

-The thin pink-ribbon overlay signifies metastatic breast caner that originated in the breast. 


Wednesday is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. #LightUpMBC 

More than 225 landmarks will shine bright in green, teal and pink to bring awareness to Stage 4. Every day people die from you MBC. Statistics show that you kill approximately 40,000 people in the U.S. every year. To those of you reading my diary... get the facts. Check out sites like mbcn.org and metavivor.org Breast cancer awareness without mets awareness isn't awareness at all. Listen to the inspiring stories from survivors and thrivers... like me.


I hope this post encourages people to learn more about you, MBC. I know October means a lot more money donations for the fight against breast cancer. I hope those reading this look into the organizations they donate to, to see where the money goes. Does it go towards MBC research? Does it go towards new trials? Does it go to helping those battling breast cancer with meals or rides? These are all just some of the areas that need funding for research. Research that will one day get rid of all breast cancer… including you MBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment