Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Yellow Brick Road

Hi everyone. I am soooo sorry I haven't posted a new blog in a few days. It's been a pretty busy and exciting time for me. I'll have a lot to share with you over the coming weeks because ... start spreading the news ... I am heading to New York!


Many people who know me may ask, "Why!? She has a good job, etc." Well, a very close friend of mine told me this 6 months ago, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all, and like I always say ... in the end, all you really have is your story, so make it a good one." I kept that email and read it every day I am bored, or lonely, or have a decision to make. It reminds me that life can be short. That we can be alive and breathing in the crisp autumn air one minute and be gone the next. I think that is one lesson I've learned being in the news business for more than a decade.

It was also a decade ago I followed the yellow brick road from Kansas to Green Bay. Probably one of the last cities I thought I'd ever live in, but one of many wonderful, and not so wonderful, life experiences that had me follow the road from the dairyland to places all over the country. Sometimes the journey was rocky. Sometimes it was snowy. Sometimes there were cracks in the pavement ... but it's the journey to each destination that has taught me things about love, life, laughter, and loss.



Destination: New York has been a 13 year journey. (Hey! 13 is one of my two lucky numbers!) Anyway, I digress. 13 years of accomplishing and doing things sometimes people never believed I could do. But, I have always been one to go after my goals and usually reach them. If not, I've at least repeated a saying on a bracelet I wear when I doubt myself. It says, "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." That's not a bad place to land ... especially when you have an amazing family and friends who love and support you but also tell it like it is. This job gets me closer to my goal of reaching that moon. Am I excited? Yes. Am I scared? Yes! Am I going to miss certain aspects of my life as it is today. Yes. But I always know the worst place I can land is among the the stars.


And yes, I may not be a 20-something just starting off. However, I believe you are never too old to go after your dream. I think novelist George Eliot said it eloquently when he wrote, "It's never too late to be what you might have been. He also said, "The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice." I have decided not to settle for the path of least resistance and take yet another chance in my life story.


So remember, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all, and like I always say ... in the end all you really have is your story, so make it a good one.” Or .. at least an interesting one."

No comments:

Post a Comment