Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fragments of Faith

Austrian writer and journalist Karl Kraus once said, “Journalists write because they have nothing to say, and have something to say because they write.” Well, I think that’s partially true ... at least for me. I tend to be quiet and keep things to myself until I put pen to paper or fingers to keyboard. It’s one reason I like writing so much. It’s a conversation with myself, and now a conversation I’m having with you.
Writing is also storytelling, which is why I got into journalism in the first place. Right now, I write and edit stories for a local newscast in a major city. I’ve also spent many years producing local television newscasts around the country. So, embarking on this new tv adventure in New York is a lot like how you see my writing ... a lot of ( ...) and a lot of fragmented sentences. I bet you have noticed that I rarely write in complete sentences! Why? That’s how most of us news writers write our copy for the anchors to read off the teleprompter. 
I do believe life is a bunch of fragments ... and it’s when you put the fragments together you get a whole story. Sometimes the fragments don’t make any sense when you put them together. Sometimes they do. But, that’s what life is all about, right? Taking fragments from your past and applying what worked and did not work for you during those times ... and incorporating them into your life now. I may have flubbed up in the control room a time or two. I mean seriously, what producer hasn’t? We are talking about live television. That’s what so great about live television. You can’t take something back once it’s seen by millions of viewers. What you can do is take the good things from that show and throw away the rest. And another thing about live tv that can relate to life is that once that show is over ... it’s over. Tomorrow is a new day, a fresh start, a clean slate.

No comments:

Post a Comment