Monday, November 7, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude

“It was official. A new season has begun. Maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course we wouldn’t fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change ... so do the people who come in and out of our lives. But it’s comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart, and if you’re very lucky, a plane ticket away.”
   -Carrie Bradshaw
That my friends, is one of my favorite quotes from Sex and the City. I actually wrote it down in an old journal of mine. I was de-cluttering my apartment this morning and came across the journal.
Carrie talked about seasons. Fall is my favorite. Autumn is one of the reasons I moved back to the Midwest from sunny California. Don’t get me wrong. I loved California and the fact that there was no snow or zero degree weather, but I missed the Fall. It’s a magical time of year. The air is crisp, the colors are warm, there’s the crackling of fireplaces, and lots of cute clothes to wear. What is more important, Fall means Thanksgiving. What Carrie says reminds me to be thankful for everything ... not just the usual things (like family) or good things in my life. Thanksgiving reminds me to also be thankful for the times I have fallen off course, had my heart broken, or made horrible mistakes. I’ve done things I have regretted. I’ve not stepped through doors that were open for me and later thought to myself, “Oye vey! Why didn’t I take that chance?!” I am thankful for all that because it has taught me what to do and what not to do ... what I like and don’t like ... and what has changed about me over the years.
If it wasn’t for those experiences I wouldn’t have met the great friends I have. They are spread all over the country ... from coast-to-coast. They all hold special places in my heart. Some of those friends make up the family I wasn’t born into. Some I’ve known since I was little, while others have come in and out of my life. They all have left footprints on my heart. And while, most of the members of my ‘family” don’t live here, it is comforting to know that they are only a plane ticket away.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed! There is a reason for everything. Never live your life with regrets.

    ReplyDelete