Sunday, November 20, 2011

Footprints In The Sand

Which pieces of your life do you think you ought to leave behind in order for your life to lighten up? This is what I ask myself as I start chipping away at what I’ve accumulated in my apartment and eat way too many peanut butter cups.
I’ve found an old Kansas sweatshirt, a Starbucks gift card, a picture of me holding my friends newborn baby. These are all pieces I take with me, but it’s what I leave behind that’s more important. I’ve always wondered what pieces of me I’ve left behind in each step of my life. I’ve realized that even though I think I’ve left things behind they are always with me.
I’ve left behind the musician, the ballet dancer, the poet, the storyteller, the cheerleader, the spy .... but they are still part of me in a small way. I may not play an instrument anymore but I do go to hear the symphony. I may not wear tutu’s anymore but I do dance. I may not write poems but I write for work and for recreation. I may not stand on the sidelines of a football game and cheer on a team but I cheer on my friends. You get the picture. 
There are parts of me I leave behind whenever I move to a next chapter in my life. I leave footprints on someone’s heart. I always wonder what those footprints are and if the imprint will last. Then I realized this when I was on my fifth peanut butter cup. Footprints in the sand may be washed away, but they are proof that you existed and did something. Even when a footprint disappears in the tide, it’s taking the sand and bringing it elsewhere. Maybe the sand mixes with a new beach or with new footprints left by new people walking along the beach. They are people you probably don’t know. But the sand mixes with their print and in an instant you are connected.
We are all connected in one way or another. Through this blog. Through Facebook. Through work. Through school. Through friends. Through family. We are all connected by living on this same planet. Every day we have a chance to make a footprint in someone’s life. Are you ready to walk? Click on the link below.

2 comments: