Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Singing In The Rain

um·brel·la   protective shield or screen, esp of aircraft or gunfire
(click the YouTube link below for a theme-fitting song for this blog)

It’s a rainy day here where I live. It’s also cold and damp. So, when I walked out of work this morning, I took out my $50 Queens Umbrella and braved the elements to get to my car. I remained dry, as the rain drops bounced off the clear dome hanging above my head ... but my Longchamp Le Pliage bag and the entire inside of my car did not get spared!
Okay, I’m going to digress for a moment to highly recommend the Longchamp Le Pliage bag. It’s not the most inexpensive bag but it is the best bag ever! It’s even better than my Coach tote I bought years ago at the outlet mall outside of Palm Springs. Why is it so great you ask? Well, besides the fact it carries everything and the kitchen sink, it's waterproof. 
Sorry. Where was I? Oh! So, I thought about umbrellas as I sat in rush hour traffic. Umbrellas cover us but don’t protect us from the elements entirely. We still can get wet, the wind can easily blow your umbrella inside out, and you can probably be electrocuted.
This morning reminded me that if we were protected from everything in our lives we wouldn't know right from wrong. We wouldn't be able to help the hungry children in Africa, or know how to protect ourselves from someone or something evil. We wouldn't know that a hot oven is dangerous. We probably wouldn't know a lot of things. So, I guess being protected all the time isn’t always a good thing. 

Being sheltered can be safe, but it can also do more harm than good. Sometimes it's okay to put away that umbrella and let the rain hit you.

No comments:

Post a Comment