Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pantyhose vs Tights ... The Smackdown!

Pantyhose vs Tights. It’s a discussion me and a few friends I’ve known for a long time debated last night at my “Jess is leaving for NY” dinner. I wear pantyhose, but apparently it’s not cool anymore to slip on the sheer or opaque item of clothing  ... hence the beginning of the debate! 
I live in tights in the winter. I mean tights and pantyhose come in so many patterns and colors I think anyone who wears them is cool. I mean they’ve come a long way from the kind you buy in the eggshell containers at Walgreens. I remember my mom had to repeatedly tell me as a young child not to open up the silvery eggshell that contained something obviously not meant for little girls to be playing with.
Either way ... whether a person spends $1 on their tights or $100 ... the leg-wear serves its purpose. They keep your legs warm in the winter, hide any bruises or marks you may have on your legs, are basically an accessory to your outfit, and get this ... are kind of fun to buy! I’m packing for my move and am about to organize an entire drawer of tights. Okay, okay. Most of them are black but they are different styles! 
I went to Nordstrom’s yesterday to get my favorite pair of tights for the winter which are made by Hue. Needless to say, I have that entire drawer dedicated to tights so I really don’t need one more pair. But how can you resist the cornucopia of options. There is fishnet, patterns and colors, opaque, low-rise, footless, and even pantyhose for men! They are called “mantyhose.” I think any guy who can pull off “mantyhose” should get a standing ovation.
The kind of pantyhose or tights you wear can also reflect on your personality. Do you wear bright colored hose or hose with polka dots? Are they lined inside to keep you warm or have a reinforced toe? I think I’m thinking way too much about this topic. Ha Ha! 
This little tidbit is for one of my friends that I sat with around the fondue pot last night. According to Wikipedia, “In British English, these garments are called ‘tights,’ a term that refers to all such garments regardless of whether they are sheer lingeries or sturdy underwear.” So there! Pantyhose and tights are the same thing! So don’t be ashamed to pull out those hose and slide them on. Show off your legs and keep them warm at the same time! And remember ... whatever you wear ... whether it’s “in” or not ... it’s what you feel good wearing that matters. 


*For you men reading this ... you should appreciate all we do to put on hose and tights so ... enjoy this instructional video made from one of the people I follow on YouTube. It starts about 1:15 in.

2 comments:

  1. Love It! LOL! I guess I need to make room for tights in my drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL -- TOOO funny! Hey Kate Middleton is making pantyhose fashionable again !

    ReplyDelete