Sunday, December 18, 2011

First Impressions

So it's Sunday night and I'm getting ready for my first day of work. It always feels like the first day of school. You have to pack your backpack. In my case, it's my work bag. I've made sure I have pens, paper, my earbuds (in case I need to listen to some audio), my Social Security card, Passport, and my paperwork I was asked to fill out for orientation. I should probably pack some snacks too, but I'm not bringing my lunch bag AND (okay former co-workers who may be reading this) my Lysol wipes. You tend to share desks, computers and phones in newsrooms so I always have brought Lysol wipes to wipe down everything with! So back to the "backpack." It's packed.


Now to the more important thing: What to wear. OMG it's soooo hard to figure out what to wear. I mean how dressy do you get? You don't want to look too casual and you don't want to look like you are going to cocktail hour! Anyway, my best friend helped pick an outfit for my "first day of school." I like it. Well, I liked it today. We'll see if I like it tomorrow. If I don't,  I have another option that's a little less dressy. I know the whole 'what to wear' dilemma seems superficial, but if you don't feel good about yourself and confident it will show. 


So those two things are all taken care of. Now you just worry about making a good impression ... which happens by just being you. Will I forget co-workers names tomorrow. Sure. I'm horrible with names. Will I be nervous at orientation and maybe say some silly things. Sure, but that's me. Will I worry about whether my co-workers will like me and if I'll like them? Sure. That's totally natural. However, I basically can get along with anyone. Will I ask too many questions? I may, but that's okay. But as I walk in the front doors tomorrow ... excited and nervous ... I will remember something my parents have told me since I was a little girl. "Jess. Just be yourself and do your best. That's all anyone can ask."

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, I just found your blog. We wish you a wonderful first day at work. I know you will WOW them.
    Love,
    Carol and Larry

    ReplyDelete