Sunday, August 9, 2020

The Batting Cages

The batting cages. I am in them but on the bench. When we last spoke I was hanging on The Drop Zone… dangling 75 feet in the air. Well, the ride has since ended. Yippee! I had to get off to have my lymph node biopsy Monday. 


I knew deep down my cancer had spread. I was just waiting for the confirmation. For the next 48 hours I sat on the bench and practiced my swing.


It’s Wednesday. My phone rings. It’s not a PA calling this time. It’s my surgeon on the other end of the phone. The cancer has spread to my lymph nodes. There are also two tiny spots on my lungs, but the spots are so small they can’t determine what they are. What they do know is that the cancer in my lymph nodes is my breast cancer. Confirmation. I have Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer. It’s not curable but it is treatable. 


It’s finally time to get into the game! Chemo is up next. I’ll be on deck Tuesday when I meet with my oncologist. He’ll come up with the game plan and then I’ll be at bat.


I’m not alone in the cages. The metal stands behind me are full of friends, family and colleagues. They are all cheering team Cancer Crusher on. They may be spectators but they are the true MVP’s.


One more thing. Some of you know my tumor has a name. My tumor’s name is Dorothy because she looks like a tornado. Get it? Dorothy like in The Wizard of Oz! The lymph nodes are those obnoxious flying monkeys. Anyway… I’m off to meet the Wizard Tuesday and will keep you posted. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you have a game plan. That has to be a bit more settling. Cheering from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete