Sunday, August 23, 2020

Chemo Sucks

 Hi everyone! This will be short but I wanted to update you. I had my first chemo infusion this past Monday. It went great! My parents and friends were wonderful. Cycle 2 is next month.

Chemo is something you love to hate as a warrior. You love it because it hopefully kills the cancer. However, chemo is like a bag of not cool Halloween tricks. It was the part of treatment I despised the most in 2016. Now, I remember why. Nearly a week after infusion its’ kicked my ass a bit. The acne/rash on my face and chest is horrifying to look at. It’s painful, pussy and just nasty. I thought it would improve after a few days but nope… just worse. I read it means the cocktail is working but good lord! It’s just not cute. My head still hurts but no longer feels like The Elephant Man. The first few days after chemo it legit felt like a human being was growing out of my forehead. Now, it is just is a dull pain. I’ll take it. The fatigue is there. The first time I went through chemo I had it weekly and not every three weeks. I didn’t expect fatigue … yet. The bone pain was full throttle Tuesday-Friday. I mean, yuck. I’d rather have pain than itchiness though. Friday I had hopes of going into work. I had worked Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I woke up and new I just couldn’t move. Everything hurt. My rash/acne was getting worse. I was running to the bathroom. I couldn’t move. I was in bed most of the day and night. Oh, and my taste is off. *insert eye roll* 


Chemo just sucks… it’s just temporary. I hope tomorrow I’ll hear from my team about some topicals for this ugly rash/acne. I’ll likely work from home for the first time.  The idea doesn’t excite me. However, the fact that I have a supportive work family and can work from home is a blessing. 


I just ordered some groceries. You can never go wrong with ice cream and mac cheese. 


As I wind this up I want to acknowledge that I know I am lucky. Thousands of people don’t have health insurance and are unable to afford treatment. I have an amazing support group in friends and family. I have a work family that’s been nothing but supportive. I just need to keep going.  

3 comments:

  1. Keep strong and I will keep praying!!
    Love ya. Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you always. That rash/acne could never hide your beauty and strength. Stay strong! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess: I have been reading some of your blogs including this one and am sitting here in awe of your strength, positivity, resilience, and fortitude in the face of such a malevolent disease. Your courage humbles me. I hope to be a fraction of the person you have become. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself. Love you, Sara

    ReplyDelete