Saturday, June 6, 2020

Winds of Change


Everything happens for a reason. I am true believer of that. 
8 years ago I came to New York to fulfill a dream of working in The Big Apple. It took years of hard work, “no’s” and determination to get to ABC. I left a good job I enjoyed in Chicago to try something new in television. I am so grateful for the people I have met, the challenges I have faced, the friendships I have made and the new skills I have learned. I am forever grateful for my parents who helped make this dream possible with their love and support. However, it is time to go. You know… when it’s time to go. You just know. That time has arrived for me… in the middle of a pandemic. LOL While leaving during this crazy time is bittersweet… I’m looking forward to being closer to family, back in the Midwest (with central air!) and to the adventure and challenge that’s ahead of me. 

I am returning to “Chicago’s Very Own,” to be part of News Nation on WGN America. This new 3 hour national program, launching September 1, has a goal of straight-forward, straight down the middle news without the debate and opinion you might see elsewhere. The vision of News Nation leaders for how to present the stories that effect you and me is partly what attracted me to this opportunity. I can’t wait to see it evolve and grow and share it with you. 

You know, I worked at WGN before I came to NYC. I had just finished a wonderful three year contract at WISN in Milwaukee. WGN was my first non line producing job. It was fun to learn  something new with great people. I then learned something new when I started on the Regional Desk at ABC. Now I get to take that experience with me back home to Chicago! My current job has prepared me for my future job. Funny, huh? It has all come full circle. The winds of change are blowing me back to The Windy City.

New York will always be special to me. It’s where I beat cancer. It’s where I saw my dream become a reality. It’s where my love of Broadway was reignited. It won’t be goodbye. It’s, “See you later!” As King George sings in Hamilton the Musical, “I’ll be back.” But, for now… it’s time to move forward. To keep going. Change is exciting and scary. You have to remember to live life fearlessly. As Robin Roberts said, “Why would you let fear keep you from your destiny.”


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back home, Jessica! Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for you! I'm sorry your move is not going well but stay positive. Sooner or later you'll be settled in! I have a few friends you'll be working alongside and it sounds very exciting. Also, I will have to look you up when I'm in town because my two oldest children will be attending UChicago this fall (Fingers crossed). Keep cool, stay safe, and have FUN! XO

    ReplyDelete