Sunday, March 17, 2013

Once... A Musical You Can't See Just Once


Happy St Patrick’s Day! I hope you’re having a wonderful and safe day! I spent part of my day enjoying the talented cast of Once. Today was my eighth time seeing this beautiful show. I went for a couple of reasons. 1. Last year I said I’d go on St. Patrick’s Day (the show is set in Dublin) 2. Because Cristin Milioti will be leaving the show in a week. I wanted to see her brilliant performance as “Girl” one more time. 

It’s always fun seeing a musical with someone who hasn’t seen it before. Let’s just say that person will be going again. However, she didn’t get to see the amazing Steve Kazee. Steve is still out (Steve: I hope you get better soon and are doing okay), but his standby is pretty great! I hadn’t seen him before. I give big props to Ben Hope. It’s always fun to see an understudy grab the spotlight and get to perform. He played “Guy” in a way that suited him perfectly and made the show new to me again. He truly made the role his own, while at the same time honoring Steve’s portrayal of “Guy.”  Ben also has a beautiful voice. 

I know I’ve said this before, but every time I go to a show again I see or hear something new. Besides Ben being new for me ... seeing Lucas Papaelias sport some tight, green underwear on stage was hilarious. Nobody in the cast knew he was sporting it! It was just as funny to them, as it was to us, when he ripped off his pants and unveiled the surprise! I wish I could have whipped the camera out to take a picture. However, for those of you who have seen Once ... I think I would have been in big trouble. Plus, Paul Whitty’s character (Billy) would’ve probably karate chopped me as well! 

Truly though ... I wanted to write a short little something to pay tribute to a show that is one-in-a-kind, inspiring and brilliant ... especially since Cristin is leaving (wish you only the best!). I also wanted to write a little something to give props to Ben and Brandon Ellis (u/s Andrej). So, I’m pulling out the whisky (I really am) and pouring a shot! As I lift it ... a special “Cheers!” to Cristin, Ben and Brandon! May the luck of the Irish always be on your side. Wait ... and Steve (looking in my liquor cabinet for some bourbon) here’s a shot for you ... (raising the shot glass) ... ”To good health!”

Link to my original blog about Once:

No comments:

Post a Comment