Sunday, March 10, 2013

It's Kinky Time! Part 2



Hello! It’s Sunday ... and one week ago tonight I was checking out the first preview of Kinky Boots the Musical. I blogged about it last week  ... and I’m blogging about it tonight.

I saw the musical for the third time today. The first time was in Chicago at the final dress rehearsal. Yes. I’m counting that! Yes. I’m seeing the show again this week. Yes. I have tickets for the first matinee. Don’t judge. Honestly, I don’t care if you do. I mean accepting people for who they are is the main theme of this musical. So what! I tend to be on a Kinky kick right now! Don’t worry, I’ll spread my love to other shows. I always do. If you read my blog you know I’ve also written about Once and Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical.

Anyway, some people go to church every Sunday. I go to a musical. I’m sure acceptance is a subject preached about in temples, churches and other places of worship. Like church ...there’s just something about live theatre. The audience/cast connection is definitely there ... especially when you sit near the stage. Stark Sands (Charlie) caught me singing along during the finale. I think that’s when I stopped singing along. However, when I stopped singing, the woman next to me started doing some of the choreography with the Angels! I thought that was pretty awesome. Things like that are kind of like our “Hallelujah!” 

Kinky Boots is still in previews though. Accepting the show as it’s in previews is something that’s probably a challenge for the creative team ... at least I would imagine it would be. The whole point of previews is to make changes. The creative team is continuously molding the show into the final product. The show isn’t “locked in.” That’s part of the appeal of previews to some theatergoers. There’s something different each time you go to the show.

It’s been an honor seeing this musical morph into the big hit, I have a feeling, it’s going to be. It’s already getting great buzz. The lady next to me today even said it was going to be a hit! She also went on .... and on ... and on ... about how Cyndi Lauper did great work with the music and lyrics. I’m all for accolades, but oy.  She also had a few “Bravo’s!” to shout at Billy Porter (Lola). She even sighed in admiration after “Charlie” sang “The Soul of a Man.” You’ll have to come to the Al Hirschfeld Theatre to see for yourself why there’s so much buzz. Maybe I’ll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment