Monday, July 30, 2012

Snap! Crackle! Pop!


Michael Jordan once said, “My body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn’t stand the sideline.” That couldn’t be more true! Let’s just say I hurt myself last night. If you follow me on Twitter you probably saw the annoying number of Tweets about what happened and “What should I do?” My poor friend Heidi had to deal with my texts too. Let’s just say I’m not the best patient. I hate being sidelined. I had hope for my Monday to be a great, busy day. A start of something new and back to work after a very relaxing weekend. It all came to an end though when I heard “Snap, Crackle, Pop!” Nope. It wasn’t one of my favorite cereals calling out to me to eat. It was something in my calf that had me crumble to the ground! Seriously ... this is not the kind of pain I would wish on anyone. I couldn’t move! Needless to say I wasn’t prepared for this little medical mishap. My ABC Emergency kit doesn’t include ice. Everyone was telling me to go to the hospital, but I really could not move. I really did try. I really did fail to do so. So, I woke up able to hobble and went to the ER bright and early this morning. The doctors sidelined me and told me to call an orthopedic surgeon in a few days if things are the same. I hate just sitting. I never used to mind it, but on days where I have plans or have places to be it kills me. The doctors told me to stay home for at least two days. I called out for at least one. Being the stubborn optomist that I am ... I’m hoping to able to be out and about tomorrow with my crutches (that I still am learning how to handle). However, everyone keeps telling me that that is a very bad idea. That I should stay home at least one more day.
So Monday was a start of something new for me. A temporary life with my crutches. LOL Let’s just say I am not enjoying them and am glad this is just a temporary dilemma.  I have a new found respect for those with disabilities. 
So for now, no dance for me. No pilates. I’ll have to find some new creative ways to stay fit. Maybe I’ll buy Richard Simmons “Reach for Fitness-A Special Video of Excercises for the Physically Challenged.” It’s ... oh heck no! $30 and VHS!!  Hmmm .... I’ll find some other way to keep fit as my injury heals.
In the meantime, a special “thank you” to all who have inquired about how I’m doing and have offered words of wisdom. A special thank you to my landlord and his wife for all their help as well. It’s nice to know that even though you are all alone in your apartment ... you are not truly alone. Now I’m going to practice what the guy in the video below is able to do with his crutches. AMAZING! I like all the kung-fu type moves in the beginning. I can use them as ways to ward off the crazies on the train! 

1 comment:

  1. We're too young for these type of injuries! Time to do some weight training and build up those muscles, girl! I hope and pray you recover real soon.

    ReplyDelete