Friday, September 29, 2017

The Silent Prayer of a Sincere Heart

May we be inspired by the Jewish tradition’s message that each of us has the potential to renew our lives in meaningful ways, repair that which is broken, and together, build a world of justice and peace. Jewish tradition demands that we live exemplary lives of hope and kindness, stepping in to the breach and shining the light of goodness where there is darkness. In the spirit of this season we pray for peace and safety for everyone.”

A Rabbi wrote that. I found that in one of my older blogs and remembered just how much it struck a chord with me. It still does. As most of you know, it’s the time of year Jews atone and reflect on the previous year. Speaking of previous… let me rewind to yesterday.

Yesterday, as I jogged through Central Park and took in its’ beauty I reflected. I stopped as the leaves sprinkled down from the towering trees that have called Central Park home for decades. Trees that have been there before I was even born. The leaves reminding me of what I was going through this time last year. This time last year I was in my old apartment going through chemo. I could barely walk. Yesterday, I ran nearly two miles. As the leaves fell… each one represented something to me. 

The Torn Leaf -A battle won but never forgotten and a fight that continues for so many.

The Gold Leaf-Hope. Hope because there’s always a golden glimmer of it. There’s hope in the golden rays the sun shines upon us every day.

The Green Leaf (that probably should be dangling in the air)-Regret for things I haven’t done but am lucky enough to still be able to do.

The Red Leaf-My desires. 

I looked at those leaves and found myself crying in the middle of Central Park. The last time I cried in Central Park I had just taken the, “You have cancer call.” This year the tears were of a different kind. I wiped them away… texted a fellow warrior… breathed in the blue sky… said “Thank you” and ran home.

I know this is a time for forgiveness but it’s a time to be grateful as well. I’m grateful for who I am…. the journey I am on… and the ability to ask for the forgiveness—the forgivness that thousands of fellow Jews are also asking for.


G’mar Hatimah Tovah

To those I may have wronged,
I ask forgiveness.
To those I may have helped,
I wish I had done more.
To those I neglected to help,
I asked for understanding.
To those who helped me,
I thank you with all my heart…


Remember to love each other. Show compassion for each other and lift each other up. Remember God hears even the silent prayer of a sincere heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment