Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Day

It’s Christmas Day and us Jews are at work. Actually .. if you think of it… a lot of people work on Christmas Day. Performers, waiters, bus drivers …. a lot people. I enjoy working Christmas. It can be slow in the newsroom. It’s a nice break from the normal hustle and bustle of demands and deadlines. I enjoy being able to email or call a person at an affiliate and be able to talk about something other than news.  It’s one of the things I enjoy most about my job ….  the people I am in contact with on a nightly basis.

Before I came into work today I stopped at Lincoln Center. It’s one of my favorite places in New York City. I love everything Lincoln Center represents. It oozes talent. The Julliard School is there too. The New York Public Library For The Performing Arts is there as well. It was quiet. Another thing I love about working on Christmas. It’s quiet in the usually bustling city. I looked up at the Christmas tree smack dab above the doors of The Met and took in the stillness. All that moved was the delicate toy train circling under the ornamented tree. There was no noise. There was no people. It was quiet.

I looked at my clock and noticed it was still early to head to work. It’s a cold day in the city. So I decided to stop at Starbucks. As I opened the doors and let the warmth of the heat hug me …  the stillness and quietness that once was … was broken by the baristas and dozens of people inside.  I ordered my Peppermint Mocha … wished the smiling barista a “Happy Holidays” … and walked across the street to work.  The stillness of my surroundings made me smile and offered some clarity as I pushed on the revolving door to 47 West.  The door whistled as it spun me into the building. The security guard looked up and shouted, “Welcome! Merry Christmas!” I waved back  …  swiped through the gates … and smiled at the lit up lobby. Fairy lights twinkle for the holidays.  As I got off the otherwise empty elevator I turned the corner into the newsroom. Four sets of eyes looks up and everyone shouted “MERRY CHRISTMAS!”  

It certainly is a Merry Christmas! I hope Santa was good to those of you who celebrate. I hope the holiday season brings you warmth and sprinkles you with hope for the New Year that’s just around the corner. Happy Holidays everyone!



1 comment:

  1. i like to say "merry kwanzikha". ...covers all the bases.

    ReplyDelete