Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Gift Of Giving


Tis the season for giving. The air is crisp, fairy lights twinkle brightly, the sound of Salvation Army bell ringers echo across the country. It’s the holidays ... a typically celebratory time of year. That’s not always true though. For some, the holidays are reminders of people they’ve lost. For others, it’s a reminder of what they don’t have. They watch the people shopping and are reminded of the home they can’t fill because they don’t have one. Maybe it was taken by Hurricane Sandy. Maybe tough times forced them to foreclose. That’s why it’s important ... not just during the holidays ... but all year ... to remember to give. It doesn’t have to be in money. You can give in so many more ways than with cash donations. It can be by giving that sad looking child on the corner a smile. Maybe you have leftover food you know that will just sit in the fridge but could sit comfortably in the stomach of someone who is hungry. Maybe your gift of giving is in the conversation you have with a stranger you’d usually rush by to get to work. Maybe your gift is the time you give to the charity you love or the people you love. Maybe your gift is one you share with an audience in a theatre. Every day we can share a gift. Sometimes the best gift you can give is free. The gift of friendship, I for one, am always thankful for. 

It’s been just over one year since I moved here. I am thankful for many things. The opportunities I’ve come across, the people I’ve met, the new friends I’ve made ... the doors that have opened ... the ones that have shut. The gift to just be able to live in this amazing city. I am also thankful for you. Those of you who read this blog. I know a lot of you are my friends or family. But some of you may not be. So thank you everyone for allowing me to share my sometimes coo coo stories. I leave you with a link to one story I wrote just before I moved here. No, it’s not “Pantyhose vs Tights.” That blog did make me laugh and was inspired by one of you ... but .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment