Sunday, August 26, 2012

Cancer, Caring and Hope



Well everyone. I should be sleeping but am unable to. So, when I moan and groan about my long days and how tired I am ... this is partially why. I typically don’t go out on nights before I work 14 hour days. However, this was for a good cause and I actually wasn’t working. I attended Cancers Expensive: A Benefit. It was a fundraiser for Broadway star, Carly Jibson’s, mother.  Carly’s mother has cancer but no insurance.

The night was full of amazing music, stories and hope. I’ve written about hope and loneliness before. Tonight was a reminder that we truly are not alone and that there is always hope. That a group of people who may not know each other can do some good. That there are people who care. Strangers that will lend a helping hand ... and people to walk beside you when things get rough. 

I work in news. There’s a lot of bad news out there. It’s depressing. It’s usually sad. This benefit was a reminder (to me) that while there is sad news, that frown can be turned upside-down when people take a moment to think of someone other than themselves. Think of that homeless man you walk by who said “hi” to you, but for some reason you just ignored. Think to slow down in the revolving door instead of pushing it faster because some older man is shuffling through too slowly. To think of the people who really have bigger fish to fry than agonizing over what to wear for that day or that their toilet is clogged. To just think of the power that one selfless act can have another person ... even just for a moment.

I went up to Carly afterwards. I don’t know her personally. What I can tell you is that she’s a pretty awesome, strong and talented lady. I just introduced myself ... let her know she and her family were in my thoughts and prayers. I didn’t get much out before I started to get all teary and had to turn away. LOL. I’m a pretty emotional girl. 

Speaking of meeting people ... I met Nick Adams too! He was one of the amazingly talented performers who sang at the benefit. Yes, I was a big dork. My horoscope did say to keep my mouth shut as my words would come out wrong. Well ... whatever. We all know I can be dorky. That is just who I am. One of my former sorority sisters saw the pic I posted on FB and responded with, “And you NEVER are dorky (CB). :)” 

CB was a KU basketball player that I was a bit coo-coo for cocoa puffs for back in my day. No, I never met him. People were always like, “Out of all the KU basketball players, you gush over a walk-on who never plays!” Whatever! My sorority sisters supported me in my love for him anyway!  One even knocked on his door and asked him to sign a KU basketball for me for my Birthday. I literally died. I think I freaked out and ran around the room and jumped around like I won the lottery. I have no clue where that ball is today. The memory of getting it though is with me forever.

So will the memory of this night. As I finally disconnect and go to bed... I wish everyone a happy, healthy night. And I hope for you a Monday of good things.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog post, Jessica. It's nice, although sad sometimes, to have the reminder we don't have to get through our difficult times alone. It's also nice to be reminded to pay attention to all the little encounters we have throughout the day. Something I blogged about recently is how just one short sentence can have an impact, positive or negative, on your entire day. So perhaps it's a call to be more authentic and aware. Blessings - AP

    ReplyDelete