Sunday, June 3, 2012

Single In The City



There are days like today when I get that warm, fuzzy feeling ... that, “Gosh. I’m in New York” feeling. I stepped off the Subway at 14th Street and just got that feeling. It’s hard to explain, but it’s a feeling I only get in New York. It’s also a feeling that when I get it, I enjoy it. 
What I also enjoyed today was brunch. I had fun reading and watching everyone walk by ... until it started raining and I had to move inside. Here’s the part which makes being single in the city kinda sting. Nearly everyone around me (and this was a big restaurant) was with a boyfriend or on double dates!
Now, as most of my friends and family know ... “I” would like to be a “we.” I don’t want to be an “I” forever. Though the letter “i” does kick off the word “independent.”  (Insert me winking here).
Well, I have been on a number of dates since moving here. Some have been good and some have been bad. People are always like “You’re too picky. Why aren’t you married? You’re in a city with thousands of people! What’s your problem? You waited too long and now all the good ones are off the market!” For those of you who are off the market ... finding love has become something equivalent to becoming a Jedi Knight. I bet you didn’t know there are years of psychological and physical training (i.e.: going to the gym and shopping for that perfect date outfit). Anyway, sometimes I wish I had a light-saber! 
So, I’m going to try and change my tactics a bit and start doing more activities. These are activities where I can also meet new people while not looking like I’m looking. Did that make sense? It did to me so .... 
Granted, my work hours mean most evenings are out of the question for me ... but that’s typically been the case. The hours present a different kind of challenge. However, I’m in the city that never sleeps. I have no excuse. In New York, if it’s night there’s a nightlife, and when there’s life ... as optimists like me will be happy to tell you ... there’s always hope. I guess that’s a big part of being single. Hope. Friends. And making sure you get out of your apartment!

No comments:

Post a Comment