Tuesday, June 15, 2021

1 Year Cancerversary

What a journey it’s been. This week, last year, I was in New York getting a biopsy and packing my apartment. This year, I’m in Chicago, thriving with Stage 4 Metastatic Breast Cancer. It’s been a crazy year full of ups and downs, hospital stays, lots of love and lots of support.

I just wanted to update you as I hit my one year cancerversary. As you know, I’m on my third kind of chemo. Guess what? I finally have some good news to share! Scans show treatment is working! The brain radiation is working. Many of my lesions have shrunk and others remain the same. The new chemo is working on the lesions in the rest of my body too! The bad news… the cancer did spread to some of my bones. I know. Annoying. Right? (insert face in palm here) The team and I discussed how we’ll handle that. Overall great news! A victory. I’ve stolen a base! 


I’m hoping these results continue so I can try to return to some sort of new “normal.” Seeing people out and about with no masks on… restaurants full again… not much social distancing… has my anxiety a bit high. I’m still masking up and primarily avoiding the public. However, I am pushing myself to be more active. I’ve lost 60 pounds on this chemo cocktail so fatigue and energy levels are not the best. Daily short walks by the lake and stretching are becoming routine and will hopefully put some pep in my step. I even got out on the deck for the first time since I moved here! 


It’s not just myself trying to navigate and figure out this new normal. We all are. I hope you take a moment to pat yourselves on the back. It’s been a journey. We’ve all made it. Those who have not weigh on my mind. We must not forget the lives lost. Their heavenly light illuminate the days ahead. Coronavirus, cancer, illnesses. These all bring us together and remind us that life is fragile but life is living. We are all blessed to awaken out of our cocoons and fly once again.


I will continue to hit the balls that come my way. Some may be curve balls… some may be home runs… others could be strikes. What matters is that Team Cancer Crushers keeps trying and keeps moving forward. That YOU keep moving forward. The stadium remains full of hope and encouragement. I hear your cheers. For that… I thank you. Let’s keep playing ball.

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you, Jaz!
    Kick that cancer's butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sports metaphors are on point! Miss working with you every night. Glad you are overcoming.

    ReplyDelete