Thursday, February 11, 2021

When Taste Buds Turn into Taste Duds

Food. It’s something we all eat. Some of us structure our meals around work. Others of us cook weekly meals or use Blue Apron. It’s gives us fuel and sometimes joy… but what if you weren’t able to taste those delicious meals. I’m one of hundreds, if not thousands, of people battling cancer who have lost their ability to taste. It happened in 2016 but not like this. This time around it’s just gone… and has been since September. I watch as my parents eat and enjoy lunch and see them watch me with worry as I nibble, like a mouse, on what’s on my plate. “Eat toast and rice,” people suggest. It tastes like wet sand and is hard to swallow! Most of the food I eat tastes like cardboard or just bad. I guess I do taste… something. LOL Smoothies I’m just too tired to make right now. I’m more of an open the bottle and drink kinda gal. 

I’ve lost a good amount of weight and eating and drinking fluids is important. It’s just a struggle bus for me. I have no appetite and that doesn’t help either. It’s just hard to do what comes so naturally for most people… eat. Tomato soup is forever ruined for me. I threw it up a few weeks ago and just can’t imagine eating it again. The lack of taste has just gotten worse with this new, every single day, chemo cocktail. Hopefully, once we figure out adjustments I’ll do better with food. Who knows. That’s what the cancer coaster is like. One day you can feel a bit “normal” and the next like an alien who fell out of his space ship.

I guess the moral of this little blog entry is to enjoy your food. You never know when your taste buds will turn into taste duds.

No comments:

Post a Comment