Saturday, January 17, 2015

All Aboard The Last Ship


It’s always the shows that I don’t expect much from that always surprise me.  Yesterday, I could say that about at least two musicals. Today, I could say that about three. “The Last Ship.” 

The show .... whose lyrics and music is written by Sting .... is closing January 24th. In all honesty I had no plans to see this musical. For some reason it just didn’t peak my interest. However, last weekend something in my gut told me, “Go see this show.” So, I bought a ticket. 

I had no expectations when I walked into the Neil Simon Theatre.  The theatre was packed, and I was happy to see that. Like myself, some of the people around me didn’t know much about the musical ... but came for the music and ... in part ... to see Sting on Broadway. 

I honestly can stay I didn’t go see the musical to see Sting. I came to hear his music. From the first song to the last ... it was the music that spoke the most to me and the people around me. The show is full of songs ... each with a different story to tell and each so different. Every song was so beautifully written and told by the actors on stage. I could hear people comment after certains songs, “Wow!” “That was great!” “Beautiful!” They were just whispering out loud what I was saying in my head! 

I left the theatre feeling shocked and impressed with Sting. Yes. He’s a humanitarian. Yes. He’s a Grammy winner. Yes. He’s a rock star. Now, he can add Broadway to his list of achievements.

I can’t say how Sting must have felt when he began The Last Ship’s journey. I know how I would have felt. I would have felt scared but excited. Nervous and unsure. Confident but anxious. Whatever Sting felt on this voyage he didn’t let it stop him. Sting saw this project through. He didn’t give up on it and he tried something new. He took a chance. For that ... I applaud him and thank him. Without him ... and the many others who jumped on board ... “The Last Ship” would have never set sail.

Don’t let this musical sail away without seeing it. Heck! The gal who said she didn’t want to see it might go see it one more time before bidding it bon voyage.

“If my ship sails from sight, it doesn’t mean my journey ends, it simply means the river bends.” -Enoch Powell

1 comment:

  1. "馬頭明王"



    [南無藥師琉璃光如來]


    [南無大勢至菩薩]



    (大佛頂首楞嚴經)




    {南無大方廣佛華嚴經} {南無華嚴海會佛菩薩}

    ReplyDelete